Sunday 8 January 2012

Why Arsenal?

Well guys GFS is always looking for new writers so today is a piece from a top Gooner, friend of Mr Winstone (those who are regulars will know who I mean) a season ticket holder but I will leave Daniel to tell you all about his love of Arsenal. Enjoy as I did and Villa next? Lets hope so.
Laters,
The Dog


Why Arsenal?




The story goes back to the early 70’s. Dad introduced me to the game, he was a Chelsea fan following the likes of Osgood, Hutchinson, Harris & Hollins when they were the trendy team. However, he put no pressure on me to follow them. Kevin Keegan was the Beckham of the day so Liverpool were the boys for me. I actually remember cheering on Ipswich in the 78 cup final (shame on me and to this day I still feel a lot of regret for that). Liverpool were clearing up at home and abroad and all was good.




Then on 23rd December 1978, I was watching MOTD with dad as usual when I saw, what to me was the best ever team performance I had seen up to that point, Arsenal stuff Sperz 5 – 0. Bearing in mind I’m from an Irish family, to see Rice, Jennings, Nelson, Stapleton, O’Leary and Brady in all their pomp, it was a no brainer to switch allegiances. The fact that they were only down the road from I lived just sealed the deal. I got plenty of stick at school as a result as everyone else was either Liverpool or Manure (nothing changes much in North London primary schools – does it!).




Then May 79, that epic 5 minute final, the joy of Alan, Alan Sunderland.




We then moved to Ireland and I missed a lot of the games including the heartbreak of losing 2 finals in the space of 4 days (1980). So I can appreciate what Sheff Wed fans must have felt in 1993 after we done them in two finals – love it!!!



My first game was the FA cup 3rd round against Bolton in January 1983. We won 2-1 (goals from Paul Davis, which I missed as we were late and a pile driver from Graham Rix got us through)




Between moving back from Ireland in 1983 and 1987, my love of football had waned badly. Then in April we played Liverpool in the Littlewoods cup final. The story goes that they never lose when Rushie scores. One thing you learn about the Arsenal, we always like to create new history. I had suddenly re engaged my enthusiasm for the Gunners and I went as often as I could.



Anfield 89, a north west London pub with my mates, the only Gooner there! (mainly Mickeys and Manure fans.) It;s up for grabs now..........oh what joy!





I started seeing a Sperz fan around 95 and she was a nanny for an Arsenal season ticket holder. When he couldn’t make the CWC final in Paris, he said I could have his ticket. That was one of the low points (Nayim from the half way line).




I thought to myself, after paying the money for the ticket, flight & hotel, surely it made sense to get a season ticket.



So in early June 95, I made an application to the club and got accepted in the Clock End (£246.00 – what a bargain). 2 weeks later, we signed, what turned out to be (in my opinion), the most important signing at Arsenal since Alex James in the 1930’s. Ladies and Gentleman, I give you, Mr Dennis Bergkamp!




Safe to say, that since then, I’ve bit on a constant high. Granted Arsene, has a lot to say about that. But I honestly believe that DB10 turned us from a decent English club to one of The Premier sides in Europe (we just need the CL to seal that deal!).



Happy New Year to you all.



Daniel Riordan


2 comments:

  1. I know this man, he is subject to bad dancing after a Robert Duval or 2. An experience to be witnessed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or perhaps not!!!

    ReplyDelete